In the light of the recommendations in the Operational Efficiency programme report, published on 21 April 2009, the Department is taking forward a number of strands of work to achieve greater efficiency across all its operations and arm's length bodies, including:
1. My appointment as the VFM Minister;
2. Benchmarking of back-office functions within sponsored bodies with over 250 staff;
3. Mapping and reviewing the current IT provision;
4. Securing collaborative procurement; and
5. Developing an estates strategy.
Formal training is available to both Ministers and Department officials should they identify a business need for it. Further to this, best practice is shared between officials, for example through networking events organised by HM Treasury and the National Audit Office.