Skip to main content


Volume 501: debated on Wednesday 25 November 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether he has made an estimate of the number of Gurkha ex-servicemen who retired prior to 1 July 1997 likely to settle in Nepal if they were to receive a pension on terms equivalent to those of the armed forces pension scheme; and if he will make a statement. (300423)

[holding answer 23 November 2009]: No such estimates have been made on the numbers of those opting to remain in Nepal rather than settle in the United Kingdom if, having retired from the Brigade of Gurkhas prior to 1997, they were to receive a pension on the same terms as those on the armed forces pension scheme.