Skip to main content

Floods: Finance

Volume 501: debated on Tuesday 1 December 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what categories of local authority expenditure are not eligible for emergency financial assistance under the Bellwin scheme. (303175)

Annex B of the Bellwin guidance on the Communities and Local Government website:

gives examples of expenditure that would not normally qualify for funding under the Bellwin scheme. These include:

costs which are normally insurable, whether by the authority or any other party (e.g. under household insurance policies);

loss of income (e.g. from facilities closed as a result of the emergency), as this falls outside the scope of section 155 of the Local Government and Housing Act 1989;

the normal wages and salaries of the authority's regular employees, whether diverted from their normal work or otherwise, and the standing costs of the authority's plant and equipment;

longer term works of repair and restoration, such as tree planting and repair or refurbishment of damaged but not dangerous structures;

any element of betterment, e.g. repairs to buildings to a significantly higher standard than their condition on the day before the incident.