Skip to main content

Care Homes: Standards

Volume 502: debated on Tuesday 8 December 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for Health whether a care home requires a valid planning consent in order to comply with the national minimum standards for care homes set out by his Department. (305350)

It is for local planning authorities to determine whether planning consents are required in individual cases.

Under the Care Standards Act 2000 and the Health and Social Care Acts 2003 and 2008, the Government have set up an independent regime of inspection and regulation of health and social care providers. All care homes in England are regulated—registered and inspected—by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

CQC regulates care homes in accordance with statutory regulations—the Care Homes Regulations 2001—and national minimum standards. The regulations set out what providers must do by law. The Government introduced national minimum standards to set out clearly what care homes are expected to provide to demonstrate that they comply with the regulations.

Further information is available at: