Skip to main content

Borders: Personal Records

Volume 504: debated on Monday 18 January 2010

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what impact assessment has been made of the cost of the e-Borders programme to the aviation industry. (310312)

The potential financial costs to the aviation industry of implementing the data collection requirements of the e-Borders programme were analysed as part of a regulatory impact assessment published in January 2008. The link to the RIA can be found on:

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/documents/eBorders-RIA-2008-01-10.html

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what the (a) original and (b) current estimated cost is of establishment of the e-Borders programme. (310321)

The original planned expenditure for e-Borders from award of the contract to Trusted Borders in November 2007 through to November 2017 was £1.2 billion.

The current forecast of expenditure for this period, including contingency, is £1.2 billion.

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department pursuant to the Oral Statement of 5 January 2010, Official Report, columns 28-32, on aviation and border security, what proportion of the e-Borders programme is complete. (310337)

We estimate that e-Borders is currently tracking 45 to 50 per cent. of all passenger movements into and out of the UK, which equates to approximately 100 million passengers annually. This figure is pending formal verification by statisticians.

e-Borders aims to track 95 per cent. of all passenger and crew movements by December 2010. This will represent all major commercial traffic. The remaining 5 per cent. represents private aviation and the small craft category. e-Borders expect that there will be 100 per cent. coverage by March 2014.

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department pursuant to the oral statement of 5 January 2010, Official Report, columns 28-32, on aviation and border security, whether his consideration of additional targeted passenger profiling includes non-behavioural profiling. (310338)

I have been asked to reply.

We are examining carefully whether targeted passenger profiling might help to enhance airport security. We will be considering all the issues involved, mindful of civil liberties concerns, aware that identity-based profiling has its limitations, but conscious of our overriding obligations to protect people’s life and liberty.