Skip to main content

Social Rented Housing: Home Working

Volume 504: debated on Thursday 21 January 2010

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what guidance the (a) Housing Corporation, (b) Tenant Services Authority and (c) Homes and Communities Agency has provided to social landlords on home working by tenants. (312032)

In its Neighbourhood and Community Strategy of October 2006, the Housing Corporation emphasised the value of all housing associations promoting employment opportunities—including residents working from their homes.

The Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) was formed on 1 December 2008, taking over the investment and regeneration responsibilities of the Housing Corporation and English Partnerships. Provision for home-working is included in the HCA’s guidance for local authorities and other partners on the development of Local Investment Plans (“Single Conversation: Further Information—Local Investment Plan”). This guidance is available via the HCA’s website:

Urban design guidance published by the Housing Corporation and English Partnerships, and now maintained by the HCA, also includes material on live-work and home-working. This guidance is available online: