Skip to main content

Crime: Computers

Volume 504: debated on Friday 29 January 2010

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what steps an individual who has been subject to (a) a phishing attack, (b) installation of malware or adware and (c) other interference with their computer activities should take to report the incident for criminal investigation; how many such incidents were reported in each of the last three years; and if he will make a statement. (306544)

Any individual who believes that they have been the subject of such attacks or interference on their computer should report the matter to the police, who can then investigate the complaint.

The offences mentioned would in most cases appear to be covered by the Computer Misuse Act 1990. However, the Home Office does not collect statistics centrally on reports of these offences, and therefore I am unable to provide the hon. Member with the figures requested.