Skip to main content

Social Security Benefits: Armed Forces

Volume 505: debated on Wednesday 10 February 2010

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions how the spouse of a serving member of the armed forces is treated for the purposes of claiming jobseeker's allowance in circumstances where that person has left a previous employment owing to the relocation of the serving member of the armed forces. (316488)

Spouses of service personnel who leave their employment to follow their partner will have just cause for doing so, provided they do not leave earlier than is reasonably necessary in order to arrange the move. This means that they will not be precluded from receiving jobseekers allowance on the grounds of voluntary unemployment.

Leaving employment in order to move home is specifically covered in the decision makers guide.

A copy of the guide is available in the Library and is available on the Department for Work and Pensions’ website at:

Each case is considered on an individual basis with regard to the relevant legislation and the information provided by the person claiming jobseekers allowance.