Skip to main content

Overseas Residents: Death

Volume 506: debated on Monday 1 March 2010

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what assistance is provided by (a) British consulates and (b) his Department to assist the next of kin of persons who have died whilst working overseas; and if he will make a statement. (319757)

When we are aware of the death of any British national abroad we will try to contact the person's next of kin as soon as possible. If the next of kin is in the UK we will ask the UK police to inform them. If they are overseas, our staff will try to contact them. We provide information about funeral options and on returning bodies and belongings to the UK. We provide a list of local and international funeral directors. While we cannot pay expenses, we can advise on how best to transfer money from the UK to pay any necessary costs. We advise families how to register a death and put them in touch with other organisations that offer help and support.

We also provide our publication ‘Guide for bereaved families'

which brings together information that may be useful to families and friends of British nationals who die overseas.