Skip to main content

Social Services: Complaints

Volume 508: debated on Wednesday 24 March 2010

To ask the Secretary of State for Health whether he has taken steps to put in place a complaints system for (a) self-funding users of residential social care, (b) partly self-funding users of residential social care and (c) residents of privately-run care homes. (323918)

Section 35 and schedule 5 of the Health Act 2009 contain provisions for a new complaints scheme for adult social care self-funders, to be operated by the local government ombudsman. This scheme is due to be implemented on 1 October 2010.

People whose care is provided or arranged by local authorities, including those who are residents in privately-run care homes, already have access to the existing statutory local authority adult social services complaints procedure.