Skip to main content

National Identity Register

Volume 508: debated on Thursday 25 March 2010

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether local authorities will have access to the National Identity Register for the purposes of the administration of free bus travel for those aged 60 years and over. (323809)

[holding answer 23 March 2010]: Information cannot be provided to a local authority from the national identity register without further secondary legislation and there are no current plans to do so for the administration of concessionary bus passes. However, an individual may choose to show an identity card to a local authority or to anyone else to help verify their identity, including age.