Skip to main content

Military Personnel And Retirement Employment

Volume 491: debated on Monday 11 January 1988

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked Her Majesty's Government:Whether military personnel, on retirement, are required to obtain government permission before taking up military or other employment, permanent or temporary, with foreign governments or with foreign organisations.

Members of the armed forces who leave the services either on retirement or resignation must seek prior approval from the department before accepting offers of employment which would commence within two years of their leaving Crown service, from foreign governments or their agencies or from companies that have contractual or other financial connections with the Ministry of Defence. The same rules apply to civilian staff. Officers of the rank of Rear Admiral, Major General, Air Vice Marshal, Under-Secretary and equivalents, and above must seek prior approval for any appointment they would propose to accept within two years of retirement/resignation.