asked Her Majesty's Government:Whether they will examine their arrangements for export promotion. [HL2359]
My right honourable friends the Foreign and Commonwealth Secretary and the President of the Board of Trade, with the approval of my right honourable friend the Prime Minister, have asked the Secretary to the Cabinet to lead a review with the following terms of reference:
- To examine the arrangements for providing official support and promotion for exports (other than defence goods and services) and investment abroad, having regard to the importance of continuing close interaction between business and the DTI on all aspects of business performance, and maintaining the close integration of all aspects of support by diplomatic posts for the full range of British interests overseas, and to make recommendations to the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs and the President of the Board of Trade.
Sir Richard Wilson will be assisted by a panel whose members are:
- Sir Ronald Hampel (Chairman ICI plc)
- Mr. David John (Chairman, BOC plc)
- Mr. Eric Peacock (Chief Executive, Hertfordshire Business Link)
- Mr. Martin Henry (Chairman of Lastolite Ltd.)
- Mr. John Shepherd (Deputy Under-Secretary of State, Foreign and Commonwealth Office)
- Mr. Tom Harris (Director-General of Export Promotion, Department of Trade and Industry)
- Mr. Harry Bush (Enterprise and Growth Unit, HM Treasury)
Sir Richard expects to report by the autumn.