Skip to main content

Licensing: Education Courses

Volume 687: debated on Monday 18 December 2006

asked Her Majesty's Government:

Why qualified persons need to hold requisite licences under the Licensing Act 2003 in order to run education courses on wines and spirits. [HL553]

Where such courses require an authorisation under the Licensing Act 2003, it is because they include licensable activities such as the sale by retail of alcohol as defined in that Act. Other than those who benefited from the transitional provisions of the Act, persons authorising sales of alcohol are required to hold a personal licence qualification. This confirms that they have successfully completed a course on the requirements of current licensing law and social responsibility relating to the supply of alcohol.