Skip to main content

Elections: Campaigning

Volume 696: debated on Tuesday 20 November 2007

asked Her Majesty’s Government:

Whether local and constituency campaigning which is provided in kind outside election campaigns by a central national or regional organisation on behalf of a parliamentary candidate or local constituency association or political party, in the form of leaflets, telephoning from call centres and telephone banks or in other ways, has to be reported and specified for each constituency in the accounts of the constituency association or local party, in the annual returns made to the Electoral Commission, or in any other way. [HL216]

Outside an election campaign period, the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000 (PPERA) requires central parties and accounting units (constituency associations) to submit annual statements of accounts detailing income and expenditure to the Electoral Commission.

The format and content of these statements vary according to the total income or gross expenditure incurred by that accounting unit. PPERA does not, however, require internal transfers between a central party and an accounting unit to be reported as in-kind donations.