Skip to main content

Parliamentary Ombudsman

Volume 697: debated on Tuesday 18 December 2007

asked Her Majesty’s Government:

Whether a person who has no Member of Parliament representing him because he is resident outside the United Kingdom can have a complaint about unfair action or poor service by a United Kingdom government department referred to the Parliamentary Ombudsman; and, if so, by what means. [HL649]

Complainants are able to approach any Member of Parliament to request them to submit a complaint to the parliamentary commissioner for administration (Parliamentary Ombudsman), regardless of where they are resident. However, whether the ombudsman is able to consider any complaint is dependent on the provisions of the Parliamentary Commissioner Act 1967.