Skip to main content

Housing: Energy Efficiency

Volume 698: debated on Monday 21 January 2008

asked Her Majesty's Government:

What steps they will take through the Energy Saving Trust and other bodies to advise the public on home energy savings measurements, within the officially recognised range of 200 kilowatt-hours per square metre (kWh/m²) for a typical untreated dwelling home, down to 15 kWh/m² for a fully adjusted unit with full insulation, solar panels and other energy saving methods. [HL1361]

Measurements of energy performance for dwellings use the Government's standard assessment procedure (SAP). SAP and reduced data SAP (RDSAP), a simplified version which is used to assess existing dwellings, are used in the production of energy performance certificates (EPC), which have to be made available when a dwelling is constructed, sold or rented out. For the owner-occupier sector, EPCs will be provided as part of the home information pack and will contain recommendations for improving the dwelling's energy performance; they also direct the reader to the Energy Saving Trust for further information and advice.

The Government have also developed a web-based carbon calculator, which is available to view on the Directgov website; this uses the RDSAP methodology. The calculator helps individuals and households to work out their carbon footprint and to access advice about the improvements they can make.