Skip to main content

Transport: Overseas Lorries

Volume 704: debated on Thursday 23 October 2008

asked Her Majesty's Government:

Further to the Answer by Lord Bassam of Brighton on 10 June (Official Report, House of Lords, col. 476), how they will use the new sign to advise large and heavy vehicles not to take unsuitable routes; whether they will fund local authorities to install it as required; and whether people living close to a road that is used incorrectly by heavy goods vehicles will be able to request that such signs be erected. [HL5535]

It is the responsibility of highway authorities to identify the appropriate locations for this non-prescribed traffic sign, and apply to the Department for Transport for authorisation for its use. The department does not provide funding for these traffic signs; the cost will be met by the highway authority.

Any residents affected by heavy goods vehicles using an unsuitable route would need to contact the appropriate highway authority since only they can erect these traffic signs.