Skip to main content

Waste Management: Fly Tipping

Volume 704: debated on Monday 27 October 2008

asked Her Majesty's Government:

Whether they will enable farmers and landowners to transport materials that have been tipped illegally on their land to the nearest convenient landfill site without a waste transport certificate. [HL5661]

Farmers and landowners must be registered with the Environment Agency as a waste carrier in order to transport illegally tipped waste from their property to a licensed waste facility.

The local authority or landfill site operator would charge normal commercial rates when accepting that waste.

A waste transfer note is required between both parties in the transfer of the waste.

The Environment Agency is the regulatory body for the relevant legislation in England and Wales and takes a proportionate approach to enforcement.