Skip to main content


Volume 708: debated on Monday 23 February 2009


Asked by

To ask Her Majesty's Government what is their advice to United Kingdom school fundraisers who wish to send donations to help schools in Zimbabwe. [HL1233]

To ask Her Majesty's Government what is their advice to United Kingdom schools which wish to arrange twinnings with schools in Zimbabwe. [HL1234]

The department does not give specific advice on fundraising related to any particular country. General advice to schools on fundraising for schools abroad is made available on the Global Gateway, the department's website for international links and partnerships for schools (see The Government recommend that any assistance from the UK to Zimbabwean schools should be channelled through registered non-governmental organisations working in the education sector in Zimbabwe.

UK schools seeking to establish a partnership with a school abroad can do so through the Global Gateway (, which includes a database of all schools that have registered an interest in establishing international school partnerships. The Global Gateway is available to all schools throughout the world wherever there is an internet connection and includes general advice on creating and maintaining sustainable school partnerships. More detailed advice to schools may be given on a case-by-case basis.

Schools can also form partnerships through DfID's Global School Partnerships programme. This promotes partnerships between schools in the UK and schools in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean (see There are currently no active Global School Partnerships with Zimbabwe.

Teachers arranging study visits as part of their partnership are advised to check Foreign Office travel advice before they travel. Current travel advice for Zimbabwe is against all travel to high density, low-income suburban areas at any time; and all but essential travel to Harare city centre, rural Manicaland and farming areas.