Skip to main content


Volume 712: debated on Monday 20 July 2009


Asked by

To ask Her Majesty's Government what advice the UK Border Agency's visa service gives to women in the later stages of pregnancy who wish to visit the United Kingdom for less than three months as private patients to give birth on whether to seek entry as a visitor or for private medical treatment. [HL4618]

There is provision in the Immigration Rules for entry as a general visitor and in various categories of special visitor, including as a visitor for private medical treatment. This would be the appropriate entry category for a woman who wishes to enter the UK in order to give birth in a private medical establishment.