I regret that the Written Answers given to Lord Alton of Liverpool on 22 July 2008 (Official Report, col. WA 227) and to Baroness Masham of Ilton on 25 March 2009 (Official Report, col. WA 131, were incorrect with respect to the costs to the National Health Service (NHS) of abortions performed in NHS hospitals in England between 2004-05 and 2006-07. The correct information is set out in the table below:
Year Total cost of medical and surgical terminations undertaken by NHS organisations £m 2004-05 76.4 2005-06 81.1 2006-07 83.5
Total cost of medical and surgical terminations undertaken by NHS organisations £m
Source: Schedule 4 (NHS trusts and primary care trusts combined) of the national schedule of reference costs
1. Figures taken from schedule 4 (NHS Trusts and PCTs combined) of the national schedules of reference costs for the financial years 2004-05 to 2006-07.
2. Figures do not include abortions performed by private sector organisations under contract to the NHS.
3. Total costs are the number of finished consultant episodes (FCEs) multiplied by the national average unit cost and the number of excess bed days multiplied by the national average unit cost.
4. National average unit costs are calculated on a weighted basis.
5. Figures include day cases, electives and non-electives (including excess bed days), outpatient procedures and regular day and night admissions.
6. 2004-04 and 2005-06 costs were collected on Healthcare Resource Group version 3.5 (HRG3.5) and include:
(a) M09—Threatened or spontaneous abortion
(b) M10—Surgical termination of pregnancy
(c) M11—Medical termination of pregnancy
7. 2006-07 costs were collected on HRG4 and include:
(a) MA15A—Vacuum aspiration with rigid cannula for 9 weeks gestation or more
(b) MA15B—Vacuum aspiration with rigid cannula for less than 9 weeks gestation
(c) MA16Z—Vacuum aspiration with flexible cannula
(d) MA17A—Dilation and evacuation 20 weeks or more
(e) MA17B—Dilation and evacuation less than 20 weeks
(f) MA18Z—Medical termination of pregnancy