Skip to main content

Mental Health

Volume 713: debated on Wednesday 21 October 2009


Asked by

To ask Her Majesty's Government what arrangements are being made to provide specialist health care for individuals with mental health illnesses who were served by Omnicare Community Services in Birmingham, which has closed. [HL5723]

The responsibility for providing healthcare, including specialist mental health care services rests with primary care trusts (PCTs). The department provides funding for PCTs to provide healthcare for their local populations through National Health Service or independent sector providers. We are not prescriptive about how individual PCTs spend their budgets and each PCT decides its own spending levels for specific healthcare treatments and services.