Skip to main content

Immigration: Northern Ireland

Volume 714: debated on Thursday 12 November 2009


Asked by

To ask Her Majesty's Government how those with leave to enter the United Kingdom who enter through the Northern Ireland land frontier with the Republic of Ireland can get their passports stamped to prove a United Kingdom arrival date, as required for applications for indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom. [HL6096]

The common travel area (CTA) comprises the UK, the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. One of the principles of the CTA is that a person’s passport will be endorsed upon entry into the CTA. The holder is not required to obtain a further endorsement when travelling to another part, as long as they hold valid leave to enter/remain.