Skip to main content

Armed Forces: Dependents

Volume 718: debated on Thursday 8 April 2010


Asked by

To ask Her Majesty's Government what resources are available to commanding officers to provide support for the families and dependants of Armed Forces personnel. [HL3208]

There are considerable resources available to commanding officers to enable them to support service families. These resources are usually co-ordinated by a dedicated unit welfare officer who is able to assess what sort of support is required and then make bespoke arrangements for appropriate provision, accessing relevant service, local authority or third sector specialists where necessary. The resources upon which a commanding officer can draw include:

professional social workers;

station and unit community groups including HIVE information centres;

families welfare grant money to support of families of deployed personnel confidential support lines

Families Federations; and

dedicated support groups for the bereaved (SSAFA-Forces Help).