Motion to Amend
That the standing orders relating to public business be amended as follows:
In Standing Order 10(1), after “House of Lords Reform Act 2014” insert “or expulsion under the House of Lords (Expulsion and Suspension) Act 2015,”
After Standing Order 11 insert the following new Standing Order:
“Expulsion or suspension of a member
11A.-(1) In implementation of section 1 of the House of Lords (Expulsion and Suspension) Act 2015, this Standing Order makes provision for expelling or suspending a member under that Act.
(2) A motion to expel or suspend a member must follow a recommendation from the Committee for Privileges and Conduct that the member be expelled or suspended (as the case may be) because the member has breached the Code of Conduct.
(3) Such a recommendation may be made by the Committee for Privileges and Conduct only if the Commissioner for Standards has found the member in breach of the Code of Conduct or the member is in breach of the Code in accordance with paragraph 16 or 17 of the Code.
(4) A motion to expel or suspend a member must state that, in the opinion of the House, the conduct giving rise to the motion occurred:
(a) on or after 26 June 2015, or
(b) before 26 June 2015 but was not public knowledge before 26 June 2015.
(5) A motion to suspend a member must specify the period for which the suspension is to last (which may be until the occurrence of a specified event).
(6) Notice must be given of a motion to expel or suspend a member.
(7) Expulsion or suspension takes effect as soon as the House has agreed the motion.
(8) This Standing Order does not affect the House’s inherent power to suspend a member for a period no longer than the remainder of the Parliament then in existence in respect of conduct occurring before 26 June 2015 which was public knowledge before 26 June 2015.”