Skip to main content

Pathways to Work

Volume 470: debated on Tuesday 8 January 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what estimate he has made of the numbers moving from incapacity benefits into paid employment in (a) Wirral and (b) other Pathways to Work pilot areas; and if he will make a statement. (172580)

Wirral is part of the Liverpool and the Wirral Pathways to Work area and received the service provided by Jobcentre Plus from April 2006. To the end of April 2007, a minimum of 230 people moved from an incapacity benefit to employment in Wirral. In the same period, in other Pathways pilot areas a minimum of 12,530 people moved from an incapacity benefit to employment.

The Government's successful Pathways to Work programme has been running since October 2003 and rolled out over time to 40 per cent. of the country. The programme has achieved over 69,000 job entries. By April 2008 Pathways will be made available to the whole of Great Britain, with provider-led organisations contracted to deliver the service to the remaining 60 per cent. of the country.